Tuesday, September 9, 2014

September 9, 2014 ivy Tech Bloomington

Today was great.  Normal, routine day anod then I remembered, today was the day.  Here We Grow Again!  Today was the kickoff for our Capital Campaign.  We only need 4 million.  Are you kidding me, 4 million dollars.  How on earth would we do?  We are in Bloomington Indiana, you know, IU is just across town.

Steve and Connie Ferguson are awesome people and they believe in our mission and they wholeheartly support us.  They believe in what we do so much that they gave us the first million.  Yes, you heard me right. They gave the first million. They have so much faith in us it's unreal; they were willing to give the first million before the state of Indiana ever kicked in their funding.   

There was an additional treat today.  Cook gave us another million.  Are you kidding me?  These are business folks in our community that believe in what we do.  They are willing to put their money where their mouth is.  I know they are not alone.  

Many employees at the college give to the college (Foundation).  There are many scholarships that are funded by faculty and staff.  My hope would be that we have 100 percent of the employees giving.  Why would they not.  As the college grows, they still have a job.  As we grow as a community, additional opportunities open up for everyone.  It only makes good sense to invest in your community.  The graduates we are sending out the door are the adults that will be making the decisions for us when we get old and unable to. I sure want it to be someone who knows what they are talking about.  

I remember having surgery at Bloomington hospital.   When the nurse came in to pull the drain from the wound, she had an entire class of nursing students to watch.  I encouraged it!  I knew where they had received their instruction and even allowed one of the nursing students to pull the drain out. That is how much faith I have in the nursing department faculty. Those nursing students wouldn't have been in clinicals if they didn't have the knowledge and were not capable.

Many people have a story. I am no different. I began Ivy Tech in June 1996. I was an adult learner, a first-generation adult learner.  I had no clue what I was getting myself into.  I began Ivy Tech with a goal of getting an Associates degree in accounting. Not only did I achieve my goal, but I surpassed it by leaps and bounds.  If it hadn't been for the awesome faculty and staff, and of course the love and patience of my family, I wouldn't have never thought to continue my education.  

Enough for today.  I'll try and pick up from here next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment